Navigator will not upgrade to newer version

When Navigator comes up I get a message that there is a newer version and I should upgrade.

I am on version 2.1.4. and Windows 10

The prompt ask “Do you wish to update to Anaconda Navigator 2.2.0 now.” I click on YES.

The prompt says if you click on YES , Anaconda Navigator will close and then the Anaconda Navigator will start. Navigator closes, but never restarts???

dear Robert_Choban

Its UPDATE feature is for professional or enterprise editions that incur subscription fees.

In fact, the community version doesn’t explain anything about its features.
For versions that incur subscription fees, Update restrictions are lifted and you can use the new version without uninstalling the entire package.

Regards, you.
ktsh.tanaka.2020

So to use the update feature we have to pay them to get the update feature. Otherwise we have to manually uninstall, reinstall and test their code will work?

1 Like

@Robert_Choban Actually, you can update the community version of Navigator. When you click yes, what is happening?

When you restart Navigator manually, is it upgrading to version 2.2.0?

1 Like

Hi,
I faced the same problem and have tried to upgrade multiple times, but each time, it seems to be processing without ending it. I have to kill it.

So, I guess for those with free community edition, we cannot upgrade automatically, but to deinstall and reinstall a new edition?

1 Like

@ktsh.tanaka.2020 @Andrew_Schell @ezbuzz_ezbuzz Just to clarify, there aren’t separate editions of Navigator which also means there isn’t a paid version. The update feature isn’t locked behind any paywall. You CAN log in to paid Anaconda offerings via Navigator which will allow you to access things such as your company’s private channels but that is completely separate from the core application functionality itself.

If there is an issue updating Navigator then it’s a clear bug! We’re aware of it now, but for reference the best place to open a bug is here: Open Navigator Bug

1 Like

@Dan_Meador Thank you for the reply. It seems like this was or has been a ongoing-term issue that was addressed in Github for at least two or three years. I did a quick search and found instances of similar (but maybe not exactly the same) issues going back to 2017 version 1.5.1 April 24 2017.

Anaconda has become such an integral part of my stack that now I’ve got clients and several of my own technology stacks completely dependent upon, or even built upon the foundation or convenience that conda offers, so I have a vested interest in communicating with Conda about issues.

1 Like

dear Dan_Meador.

Thank you for replay.

Thank you for your useful information. As an early user, I didn’t realize that.

However, your reply has cleared the situation. I am a user who uses Anaconda only with CUI, so I can’t say that I have much experience on the GUI side.

I would appreciate it if you could continue to teach me about it in the future.

Regards, you.
ktsh.tanaka.2020

dear Andrew_Schell.

Thank you for posting.
For GUI users, I think it’s a very important issue. In order to improve, I think it is necessary not only to deal with bug reports, but also to continue testing and experimenting with new systems to find and eliminate problems first.

Speaking of 2017, in the DataScience industry, human resources flowed to Bitcoin, VR, AR, MR, etc., and it was also a time when development became extremely busy.
Because of this, the number of people involved in system development using OpenSource has decreased, and I believe that this is also the reason why it has become extremely difficult to verify source code.

Also, as a new project, it seems that there was a shortage of human resources for ARM implementation of MacOS and others.

In order to give the same answer in a cross environment, the compiler, library (DLL), etc. must match, but I think that version control is also difficult in some areas.

Regards, you.

ktsh.tanaka.2020

Currently, there are 2,406 open issues in the Github repository, going back as far as 2013. What’s the point in opening another one?

just do a manual update of the navigator via the anaconda prompt:
conda update -n base anaconda-navigator

Source:
https://docs.anaconda.com/free/navigator/update-navigator/

I’m on a free version, and upgrading anaconda itself (the prompt will tell you there is a newer version available) never succeeds.

This is what works for me. Anaconda updater is TERRIBLE. I’d say it works normally < 10% of the time for me. I have an Anaconda Professional license through my work.