Two separate anaconda installations

I have been trying to get a new environment setup from our database vendor at work, and I seem to have messed everything up – creating two separate installations, various environments that don’t talk to each other, and channels that some times I can access and some times I cannot. I can’t make heads or tails of it, and really could use some one to walk me back, and get everything squared away. I had, at one point this week, everything square from the vendor, but when I went to create a trimmed down version to send to my team, and tested it, it blew up on me.

Here is what I think I know about what I have setup.

• Everything is Anaconda3
  • I think initially, 2 years ago, I installed via Anaconda Professional, so somewhere, I have a token, and somehow, that token is unreadable by some channels, and I get 403 errors when trying to setup new environments.
  • Last week, when I thought I uninstalled it, and re-installed, I installed python distribution in what appears to be a different location (I am unsure as to which is which)
  • when I do conda env list I am showed the following environments
    ** /Users/~/opt/anaconda3
    ** /Users/~/opt/anaconda3/envs/getting_started_snowpark_python {this is the one built from the vendors instructions}
    ** /opt/anaconda3 (base)
    ** /opt/anaconda3/envs/snowpark_python {this is the one I created from within anaconda-navigator}
  • I can use conda activate snowpark_python from base and vice versa, but I cannot activate the getting_started_snowpark_python environment
    ** I could do this yesterday prior to creating the 4th environment

Ideally, I want to blow it all up and just have one installation, with one base env, and then I will start over with the env setup, but I would like to understand how/why I arrived at this mess, so I don’t repeat it.

Thank you to anyone who responds. I’m under some pressure to get this package out to the team for prep work prior to our team kick off later in the month.

1 Like

dear ron.chipman.ut.

Thank you for your contribution to the anaconda community.
I am not an employee or board member of Anaconda, but I will answer to the best of my ability.

I think initially, 2 years ago, I installed via Anaconda Professional, so somewhere, I have a token, and somehow, that token is unreadable by some channels, and I get 403 errors when trying to setup new environments.

This phenomenon is caused by Forbbiden errors, but is often caused by authentication errors or client-side settings.
Below is a URL for your reference.

I can use conda activate snowpark_python from base and vice versa, but I cannot activate the getting_started_snowpark_python environment
** I could do this yesterday prior to creating the 4th environment

The conda manual is shown below.

https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda/en/latest/user-guide/tasks/manage-environments.html

I will explain the important points in creating a new environment.

‘getting_started_snowpark_python’ is not activated because, as stated in the manual above, ‘Specifying a location for an environment’,

conda activate ./envs/getting_started_snowpark_python

is not running.

‘Managing environments’ is a very deep field. I hope that you can overcome this problem and do a good job using Anaconda.

Best regards.
ktsh.tanaka.2020