Miniconda 3 doesn't think Apple M1 chip is 64 bit

I’m trying to install Miniconda 3 on a new Mac to download a package on Bioconda. When I installed Miniconda, it gave the message “Your operating system appears not to be 64-bit, but you are trying to install a 64-bit version of Miniconda3.” However, I looked it up, and the chip I’m using should be 64-bit (It’s the Apple M1 chip on a MacBook Air). I allowed it to install anyway, and it seems to have installed successfully (I can see the list of installed packaged with the ‘Conda list’ command), but when I try to install the package I need, it gives the message "UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be incompatible with each other:

Output in format: Requested package → Available versions"

I am very new to both Anaconda and the command line in general, and I have no idea what this error message means, or whether these two errors are linked. Do you guys know what’s going on?

1 Like

from ktsh.tanaka.2020 to jrgibbs

Hello,
Thank you very much for the valuable information. By the way, in this case, it is related to the installer.

In the case of Anaconda and Miniconda, there are two mechanisms involved.

1. Installer related (directly related to Anaconda and miniconda)
  2. Python related (wrapped by Anaconda and miniconda)

However, since the installer also uses Python, the error that occurred in Python may have spread to the installer.

In the case of MacM1, since it uses an Arm type CPU, there are few packages that can be installed directly in binary.
For example, Rasberry Pi also uses Arm-based CPUs, but Anaconda and Miniconda have not been released.

In such cases, you will often use “python setup.py” instead of installing with pip or conda.

Regards, you.
ktsh.tanaka.2020