Creating new environment

I’ve created many new environments from the Anaconda Prompt in Windows with no issue in the past. I can still create new environments with no issue using:

conda create --name <env_name>

In the past, I would then activate the new environment, install any packages I need using conda install, and continue.

But now, using conda install results in an error saying it can’t connect to the repository because openSSL is not available (which makes sense if openSSL isn’t available, since it needs to use https).

I can get around the issue by creating the environment with openSSL installed:

conda --name <env_name> openssl

and then I can conda install away! (after activating the new environment).

Did something change that made it necessary to explicitly include openSSL in the new environment?

One github user suggests “go to base and then conda update --all. after that the new env should work fine.” They did not say whether they mean “conda activate base” or “cd miniconda3 / anaconda3”.
I have experienced this problem and solved it with a reboot, but only on a brand new install on Windows.
Many github users suggest “manually copy openssl libs” but we would rather you didn’t.

I generally don’t like doing “conda update --all” as I sometimes have fairly complex package dependencies, and have seen that really hose things up.

And I agree with you , the “manually copy openssl libs” is a solution that works around conda rather than with it, and I suspect could cause future issues.

For now, I’m happy with the workaround of just installing openSSL when creating the environment, that seems to solve the issue AND work within conda’s normal operation.

An update of conda and anaconda seemed to solve the issue one one system, but not another, I’m not sure what the inconsistency is.