Creating new environment from base: getting SSL error when trying to install Jupiter Notebook in new env

Windows environment: I created a new environment for my project from base, performed the activate command and then tried to insta Jupyter Notebook. I goth the following error message: CondaSSL Error: OpenSSL appears to be unavailable on this machine. OpenSSL is required to download and install packages. Exception: HTTPSConnection Pool (host=repo.anaconda.com’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: … Can’t connect to HTTPS because the SSL module is not available."

How do I install the SSL Module and openSSL such that condo can see it? to remedy this situation and let me install packages?

1 Like

dear Tanya_Saklem .

Thank you for your contribution to the anaconda community.

How do I install the SSL Module and openSSL such that condo can see it? to remedy this situation and let me install packages?

If the SSL package is not included, you can install it as follows.

conda install -c conda-forge openssl
conda install -c “conda-forge/label/gcc7” openssl
conda install -c “conda-forge/label/broken” openssl

In order from the top, if it is not installed completely, if the Anaconda package is compiled using gcc7 (see Anaconda3/bin for details), and if it is installed but broken .

Best regards.

1 Like

Thank you! I will try it in about an hour. I appreciate your help.

dear Tanya_Saklem.

thank you for your reply. I wish you success.

Kinds, regards.

Hello,
I have the same problem. This solution does not work as any attempt to install packages fails with the same SSL error:

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): failed

CondaSSLError: OpenSSL appears to be unavailable on this machine. OpenSSL is required to
download and install packages.

Exception: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘repo.anaconda.com’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /pkgs/main/win-64/current_repodata.json (Caused by SSLError(“Can’t connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.”))

I am able to install it in the base environment. But when I create a new environment I can’t install anything. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

I habe exactly the same problem: I am able to install it in the base environment. But when I create a new environment I can’t install anything.

Same problem here! Did someone solved it already?

This fixed my issue:

2 Likes

I copied libcrypto-1_1-x64.*
and libssl-1_1-x64.*
from anaconda3>library>bin
to ananconda3>dlls

that fixed my install

8 Likes

This worked for me. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Man you saved my day. That worked for me too!
Thanks heaps

1 Like

God bless you. Solved my problem too!

1 Like

Worked for me as well! Thanks very much.

1 Like

Thank u,.It helped a lot

1 Like

This fixed my error as well!

This cut and paste routing worked for me also. Thanks

Thank you! I have spent way too long on this, glad to have finally found a solution.

Thank you, its worked for me

sed: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:hjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj

This worked for me. Thank you.