Getting OpenSSL working

Hi there,
I’m trying to use conda to set up a virtual environment for tensorflow. When I try and do so
this error appears (this is in the anaconda powershell prompt)

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): failed

CondaSSLError: OpenSSL appears to be unavailable on this machine. OpenSSL is required to
download and install packages.

Exception: HTTPSConnectionPool(host=‘repo.anaconda.com’, port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /pkgs/main/win-64/current_repodata.json (Caused by SSLError(“Can’t connect to HTTPS URL because the SSL module is not available.”))

I have since installed openssl but the same error still appears.
In terminal when I type “openssl version” this error appears

7804:error:02001005:system library:fopen:Input/output error:bss_file.c:175:fopen(‘C:\OpenSSL\bin’,‘rb’)
7804:error:2006D002:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:system lib:bss_file.c:184:
7804:error:0E078002:configuration file routines:DEF_LOAD:system lib:conf_def.c:197:

so far I’ve looked at changing path system variables, permissions of openssl files, uninstalling and re-installing openssl.
I don’t think there’s an issue with conda so I haven’t uninstalled and re-installed that. Could anyone help? Thank you

For the first error this is what triggers it:
conda create -n tf python==3.10

Hello,

This is a known bug on Windows machines. The fix is to copy the two below DLL’s from the ‘bin’ folder to the 'DLL’s folder:

On Windows machines the anaconda installation directory will reside under one of the following, depending on whether you proceed with a ‘system-wide’ or ‘per-user’ install:

‘C:\ProgramData\anaconda3’ (system-wide install)
‘C:\Users<your_user_name>\anaconda3’ (‘per-user’ install)

Under this directory there will be a ‘Library\bin’ folder.

You can search, copy and paste using ‘Windows Explorer’.

Copy and paste the files:
libcrypto-1_1-x64.dll
libssl-1_1-x64.dll

from this folder

into the directory:

‘C:\Users<your_login_name\anaconda3\DLLs’ folder.

This should fix the problem.

4 Likes