Spyder fails to start on conda update and new install

This is all on a MacOS 13.5.1

I previously had this in another section but found this “bugs and issues” section and decide to post here.

I’ve used anaconda navigator/spyder for at least 4 years and have always successfully been able to update the various packages with zero issues - until now. Spyder 5.4.3 seems to have a dependency that, when certain modules are updated (haven’t figured out which ones yet), Spyder fails with the segmentation fault as shown below.

/Users/semmett/anaconda3/bin/pythonw: line 3: 62479 Segmentation fault: 11 /Users/semmett/anaconda3/python.app/Contents/MacOS/python “$@”

The following occurs in a anaconda navigator version 2.4.2 that had heretofore had no issues.
This error message occurred after I executed “conda update conda” a couple days ago.

So I undertook the following steps:

1. deleted the anaconda3 environment

2. downloaded and installed anaconda 2023.07-2. I have only one environment - root.

3. after successful installation, I selected Spyder 5.4.3 from the navigator home page. Spyder started successfully.

4. I selected Jupyterlab 3.6.3 from the navigator home page. Successful startup.

5. I went to a terminal and executed “conda update conda”. Successfully completed

6. I went to the navigator home page and selected Spyder 5.4.3. It failed to start with the error shown above.

7. At this point, I redid steps 1-4 shown above. Success at all steps.

8. I then went to the navigator homepage and selected “environments” and selected the root environment.

9. I went to “updatable”, reindexed, and selected scipy for upgrade from 1.10.1 → 1.11.1. Upgrade went without any issues.

10. I went to the navigator home page and selected Spyder 5.4.3. It failed to start with the error shown above.

11. At this point, I redid steps 1-4 shown above again. Success at all steps.

12. I then went to the navigator homepage and selected “environments” and created a new environment called spyder using python 3.11.4.

13. after the environment was created, went back to the navigator home page, selected the “spyder” environment and selected “install spyder”. Then went successfully.

14. I then selected Spyder 5.4.3. It failed to start with the error shown above.

15. I switched to the root environment and selected Spyder 5.4.3. It ran with no issues.

Any idea what is happening? I can’t update the root environment without killing spyder.

Just updated Anaconda Navigator from 2.4.2 to 2.4.3. Still the same error. It really is a shame that Anaconda.org has no comment about a consistent error in their software.

Has there been any resolution to his issue? I updated my Anaconda recently and encountered the same problems described above where I always get the “segmentation fault 11” when I try to Spyder, Jupyter notebooks Jupyter Labs, etc. I have cleared off my installation and re-installed several times to no avail.