Navigator default web browser

When I request one of the documentation links such as Pandas or NumPy, it opens in the default browser for my OS. The same is true when I run an Iron Python notebook. Yet the default browser for my OS is loaded with features that are unnecessary for my use case. There exist numerous lightweight browsers much more appropriate.

Why can’t there be either a right-click feature to ‘open with’ or a setting that specifies an alternative browser?

1 Like

from ktsh.tanaka.2020 to Doug_Epling

hello.
The OS determines how to launch the default browser.

About changing the browser when using Anaconda.
If your OS is Linux or Unix, you can change bash.rc etc., but if you are using Windows, it is very difficult.

Regards, you.
ktsh.tanaka.2020

There used to be something called ‘bookmarklets’. This was before html5, so I don’t know if they still exist. Anyway, if I right-click on a bookmark, doesn’t even have to be a URL, just the name, and copy/paste into the location bar of another browser technology, it works just fine. So there should be some way to access the bookmark code in Navigator in order to make the selection. I am sort of surprised there is not a setting in properties to do this.

Incidentally, I use Fedora. It was Microsoft who tried to sell the public on the notion that the browser needed to be part of the operating system. The reason for choosing a default browser (or at least one of them) is because they lost in court during the browser wars.

So I don’t develop on Microsoft, but I know Windows has an API where applications can add custom right-click alternatives.

The reason is that everything is done at the script level, not at the binary level.

In the case of Python, there is a way to access the binary directly using swig etc., but if you do that, it will affect R and other environments.

If it is possible to tune the system completely at the binary level, it can be tailored to individual distributions.

However, that puts a strain on developers and supporters (to be honest, if you can set up a full 30-day trial and subscribe to $ 50 or more per user each year. It is possible, but …). The bookmarklets method is excluded from FireFox etc. in html5 due to security reasons (Windows security program alerts, but API exists).

Certainly, it would be nice if it were possible to create an environment that would completely satisfy users in all environments such as Linux, Windows, and MacOS. However, if you are familiar with the system to some extent, you should be able to build your own PC or server environment by yourself.

I think Anaconda as open source makes sense if those achievements can be shared.

Regards, you.
ktsh.tanaka.2020.

Oh well, it is not a big deal. However, the number of crickets in Feature Requests could be telling us something.

1 Like

Oh well, it is not a big deal. However, the number of crickets in Feature Requests could be telling us something.

Indeed, feature requests are important. Especially in the sense of creating a program that emphasizes user-friendliness. However, it takes time to create each OS and each system.

Donald Knuth has taken 20 years for TeX to pursue perfection too much. Now it’s a program that is only used by some enthusiasts …

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could gradually fulfill the user’s demands?
Suddenly perfectionism will break …

Regards, you.
ktsh.tanaka.2020