Current download installs py3.9; add environ installs py3.10

The download of current linux anaconda from “https://www.anaconda.com” installs python 3.9 as the “base” environment. In that installation, if one creates another environment through conda, the new environment has python 3.10 installed. Why is that?

It does not seem possible to upgrade “base” python to 3.10. I believe due to major version change not allowed. It does also not seem to be possible to rename a later installed environment as “base” and delete the original “base”.

tom kosvic

1 Like

dear tom kosvic.

thank you for your posting.

The download of current linux anaconda from “https://www.anaconda.com” installs python 3.9 as the “base” environment. In that installation, if one creates another environment through conda, the new environment has python 3.10 installed. Why is that?

Basically, the community edition of linux is developed based on Fedora. Some are KDEneon and Ubuntu (but not LTS). So for new packages, Python3.10 is chosen.

The reason why Python3.9 is selected during installation is related to PyQt5. As you know, anaconda-navigator and matplotlib are based on Qt5. In the future, PyQt5 will also be improved, and if Python3.10 is supported or Qt6 is supported, we plan to follow it.

Regards, you.
ktsh.tanaka.2020

I am not clear as to what you mean re: “the community edition of linux is developed based on Fedora”. Could you please expand on this. I was having problems with conflicts installing python modules on py10 in the newly created environments.

What I have done is re-create the additional environments with the 'python=3.9 ’ flag. Now everything in my anaconda is setup and installed for 3.9.

dear tom kosvic.

thank you for your reply.

I am not clear as to what you mean re: “the community edition of linux is developed based on Fedora”. Could you please expand on this. I was having problems with conflicts installing python modules on py10 in the newly created environments.

This issue caused me to slip the words. It is basically made with a downloadable edition of Linux.

Python 3.9
64-Bit (x86) Installer (659MB)
64-Bit (Power8 and Power9) Installer (367MB)
64-Bit (AWS Graviton2 / ARM64) Installer (568MB)
64-bit (Linux on IBM Z & LinuxONE) Installer (280MB)

Basically, it may not work with Qt base, so we recommend using Gnome or GTK base to use GUI etc.

What I have done is re-create the additional environments with the 'python=3.9 ’ flag. Now everything in my anaconda is setup and installed for 3.9

This method should work correctly.

Regards, you.
ktsh.tanaka.2020