Anaconda installation failed on macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Hello,
I’m having issues when installing Anaconda on my macOS Ventura 13.3.1. Installation failed with the following error message:

“An error occurred during installation. The installation failed.” The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

I can see that many people are having the same issue. It would be helpful if anyone can help with any suggestions on how to get Anaconda working on the latest version of macOS. I really need to work with it. It’s super frustrating! :frowning:

Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for contacting us, I will suggest you to follow this guide:

https://docs.anaconda.com/anaconda/user-guide/troubleshooting/#the-installation-failed-message-when-running-a-pkg-installer-on-osx

Let me know if that fixes your issue, if not we have another solution for you.
Thank You,

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your reply.

I managed to install Anaconda following a step by step process shared by an user with the same issue on the Apple Support Community.

I’ll definitely bookmark this information too for future reference.

Thanks so much,
Cristina

hello, I have the same problem and I tried to follow the indications that you gave but I failed… can you help me?
thank you

hi cristina,
if you have time, can you explain how did you fixed the problem using the information of Carlos?
thank you

Hello,

Sure! I didn’t have to follow Carlos’s instructions because I managed to Install Anaconda on Saturday.

I used this guide, keep it as a reference just in case.

Make sure you install [python] first before you install anaconda just to be safe.

Here are the steps to install Anaconda on Ventura:

1. Download the anaconda command line installer.
  2. Open up a Terminal Window and navigate to the directory where you downloaded your installer. (For example in my case it was in Downloads. So I would type “cd /Users//Downloads”).
  3. Run the installer script by running “Bash Anaconda3-2023.03-MacOSX-arm64.sh”. (the .sh file you downloaded earlier)
  4. The license agreement will show up as you execute the .sh installer, hold “enter” until you reach the end of the agreement and type “yes” to accept it.
  5. Once you accept the license agreement, you will be asked to specify the installation location. I would recommend to use the default location. The installation process will begin then, it should take few minutes to complete.
  6. The installer will prompt you to initialize Anaconda by running “conda init”, enter “yes”. (In case you missed the option, run the following command “source /home//anaconda3/bin/activate” then “conda init zsh”
  7. The installer finishes and displays a thank you message.
  8. (extra) you can auto-activate anaconda base environment as you open a terminal window by running “conda config --set auto_activate_base True”. To turn off the auto activation, use the same command but replace “True” at the end of the command with “False”.

You should be all good to go then.

I hope that works for you too!

Best of luck,
Cristina

hi cristina,
sorry to be here again… but I haven’t so much practice with this things.
first I don’t understood how to install python first if I have to install it with anaconda then.
also the second point, when I open the terminal I don’t know how to navigate into that directory (I tried to put in the “anaconda command line installer” and write “enter”, but the permission is always denied, and then if I write “yes”, I see a lot of “y” and I don’t know why :).
what can I do?

sorry for the inconvenience

Hello,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You do not have to install Python using the Anaconda installer.

I meant, just make sure you have installed Python, before you install Anaconda.

If you haven’t installed Python yet, you just have to go to their website and download the latest version for your operating system. This is the link to their website: https://www.python.org/downloads/

Once it’s downloaded, you just need to follow the installation steps, it’s very straightforward and easy to follow.

Once you have installed Python, then you can move on to the Anaconda installation. Go to Anaconda.com and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page until you see the below options:

click on the command line installer that suits your computer. I dópenlos the last one for my M2 macOS laptop.

Once downloaded, then you can follow the previos steps I shared:

1. Open up a Terminal Window and type “cd /Users//Downloads”).
  2. Go back to your downloaded docs, where you will find your Anaconda file that you just downloaded and copy the name of the file downloaded as it is. Then paste it into the Terminal Window. This will run the installer script by running “Bash Anaconda3-2023.03-MacOSX-arm64.sh”. (the .sh file you downloaded earlier).
  3. The license agreement will show up as you execute the .sh installer, hold “enter” so many times as needed until you reach the end of the agreement and type “yes” to accept it.
  4. Once you accept the license agreement, you will be asked to specify the installation location. I would recommend to use the default location. The installation process will begin then, it should take few minutes to complete.
  5. The installer will prompt you to initialize Anaconda by running “conda init”, enter “yes”. (In case you missed the option, run the following command “source /home//anaconda3/bin/activate” then “conda init zsh”
  6. The installer finishes and displays a thank you message.
  7. (extra) you can auto-activate anaconda base environment as you open a terminal window by running “conda config --set auto_activate_base True”. To turn off the auto activation, use the same command but replace “True” at the end of the command with “False”.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Cristina

This is what you have to download from the Anaconda website, at the bottom of the page:

Sorry, I’m not sure if I’m allowed to paste images here, that’s why the image didn’t come through before.

i installed all oh those, I see them in the downloads of the finder or just the internet, but when I write "cd/users//downloads it tells me “no such file or directory”

Hello,

You have to use your own macOS user name. Replace the ‘users’ word by your ‘user name’ and then run the code.

Let me know if that works!
Cristina

yes it’s what I did :slight_smile:

what can I do?
is there another method or solution?

Hi again,

I’m happy to assist you, thanks Cristina for your support too, please replace the command that you launched with this one:

cd $HOME/Downloads

Then continue with the instructions and please let us know if that worked for you.