Anaconda and Minicoda .sh installer crash on AARCH64 Jetson TX2 and Raspbian latest

crash on Jetson TX2 8GB RAM Ubuntu 20.04 and Pi 4 latest PiOS 64bit

bash ~/Downloads/Anaconda3-2024.02-1-Linux-aarch64.sh -b -p $HOME/anaconda3
PREFIX=/home/gy/anaconda3
Unpacking payload …
/home/gy/Downloads/Anaconda3-2024.02-1-Linux-aarch64.sh: line 1264: 9428 Illegal instruction (core dumped) “$CONDA_EXEC” constructor --prefix “$PREFIX” --extract-conda-pkgs

miniconda

Unpacking payload …
Downloads/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-aarch64.sh: line 1163: 10978 Illegal instruction (core dumped) CONDA_QUIET=“$BATCH” “$CONDA_EXEC” constructor --prefix “$PREFIX” --extract-conda-pkgs

1 Like

I seem to experience the same on a fresh RPi install.

Raspberry Pi 4, RPi OS (bookworm aarch64). Most recent miniconda

~/Downloads $ bash Miniconda3-latest-Linux-aarch64.sh

(…)

PREFIX=/home/xxx/miniconda3
Unpacking payload …
Miniconda3-latest-Linux-aarch64.sh: line 1163: 2606 Illegal instruction CONDA_QUIET=“$BATCH” “$CONDA_EXEC” constructor --prefix “$PREFIX” --extract-conda-pkgs

Solution: miniconda does not work on Raspberry Pi 4, use miniforge

wget “https://github.com/conda-forge/miniforge/releases/latest/download/Miniforge3-$(uname)-$(uname -m).sh”

1 Like

Thanks a ton for the suggestion, worked on a Jetson TX2 and a Pi 4 4GB without a hitch.

A Pi Zero, even the 2, is still extremely limited with 512GB and in the Pi OS 64bit GUI you can’t even run the initial update without crashing it, but miniforge installed nicely if sloooowly and python -m http.server delivered quickly.

Only problem is with the double quotes you used. The cmd would not paste into the Pi terminal, but interestingly into the text editor. Took me a while to find out about the special chars that were a problem in the terminal.

Cheers
G.

Glad I could help, Günter. Curious with the double quotes…
Cheers
Johannes

So, this seems a pretty obvious BUG on this bug reporting forum and nobody cares?

To my understanding it’s a known issue, and not high up in the priority list of the developers.

See Unsupported OS: Raspberry Pi 4 · Issue #11395 · conda/conda · GitHub

Hi @guenter_huber22 - this isn’t quite a bug. The issue is with the way Anaconda chose to build its linux-aarch64 packages (please see here and here for more details), which is different from the way Conda-Forge (who maintains the Miniforge installer) chose to build their linux-aarch64 packages. (Thank you @johannes.muellers for the workaround.)

We will update our docs to better inform Raspberry Pi users that they may not be able to use Anaconda’s linux-aarch64 packages.

1 Like

Thanks, Paul, for finally chiming in officially and giving insights!

Could you please rethink the approach to the problem?!
Better docs would only be a minor help, cuz I approached from the d/l page and woulda stepped in the trap in the vain that AARCH64 means compat.

Should not be too big a problem for the installer to handle the situation more gracefully when this has been known for two years!
Dunno if more recent Nvidia Jetsons are affected (as my old TX2 is) where you would miss out on a extremely respected market.

Thanks
G.