Updating python leads to catastrophe!

I wanted to update python 3.9 => 3.10 with the command
$ conda update python
but after downloading a lot of packages, it fails with message

Executing transaction: done
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/conda/common/serialize.py", line 13, in <module>
    import ruamel_yaml as yaml
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'ruamel_yaml'

and now, any conda command fails with a message concerning package ruamel

File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/bin/conda", line 13, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/conda/cli/main.py", line 118, in main
    from ..exceptions import conda_exception_handler
  File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/conda/exceptions.py", line 24, in <module>
    from .models.channel import Channel
  File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/conda/models/channel.py", line 17, in <module>
    from ..base.context import context, Context
  File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/conda/base/context.py", line 55, in <module>
    from ..common.configuration import (Configuration, ConfigurationLoadError, MapParameter,
  File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/conda/common/configuration.py", line 42, in <module>
    from .serialize import yaml_round_trip_load
  File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/lib/python3.10/site-packages/conda/common/serialize.py", line 18, in <module>
    raise ImportError("No yaml library available. To proceed, conda install ruamel_yaml")
ImportError: No yaml library available. To proceed, conda install ruamel_yaml

Moreover, trying to install ruamel with pip i have this error

File "/Users/puiseux/opt/miniconda3/bin/pip", line 7, in <module>
    from pip._internal.cli.main import main
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pip'

Maybe the best is to reinstall conda from scratch ?

I faced the same issue and finally just uninstalled Anaconda. Now I use plain Python 11 and install all the additional packages I need via pip. Since then I have everything updated to the last version, what becomes a problem in Anaconda. That is not what it was meant to be - “You won’t need to update packages manually while Anaconda does it for you”, unfortunately.

I’m certainly no expert, but I thought the recommendation was to create a new environment containing the newer version of Python. I’ve found it a bit tedious to get the added packages just so, but never wind up with an unusable older environment.

Hello,

It could be due to your channel configuration. Have you had any changes there recently?

In order to assist you, could you run the following commands and paste the output in this thread?

Let’s examine your installation with conda info.
Let’s examine your configurations with conda config --show-sources.
Let’s examine the packages installed in your broken environment and the channels they came from. conda list --show-channel-urls

Thank you,
Charles